St. Catherine’s Oratory is a medieval lighthouse on St. Catherine’s Down near the southern coast of the Isle of Wight, England. It was built by Lord of Chale Walter de Godeton as an act of penance for plundering wine from the wreck of St. Marie of Bayonne in Chale Bay on April 20, 1313 AD.The lighthouse tower is known locally as the Pepperpot.

photo by trevager