Old Thirlestane Castle
The original tower was the property and residence of Sir Richard Maitland in the mid-13th century, and was occupied by his successors till about 1595, when the present Thirlestane Castle was built.
Old Thirlestane Castle was an ordinary border keep, rectangular on plan, measuring 33ft by 24ft, with a wing projecting westwards containing the staircase.Only the S wall of the keep and part of the wing remaining. The enclosures visible around the castle appear to have been for keeping cattle rather than for defense.
The castle is located in Lauder, 27 miles east of Edinburgh in the Scottish Borders.