The Green Lady of Crathes Castle
In the tower of the 16th century Crathes Castle, a ghost who appears as a green, lady-shaped mist has been reported. She moves across the tower room by herself at times but sometimes she crosses the room and picks up a ghostly child by the fireplace before vanishing.
There have been so many sightings of her that the room is now referred to as ‘The Green Lady’s Room’. Upon her stay at the castle, Queen Victoria even saw the apparition.
During caslte restorations two skeletons, one of a woman and one of a child were uncovered in the walls by the very fireplace where the apparitions are seen. It is thought that a woman servant had found herself pregnant out of wedlock and was murdered then bricked away into the wall to avoid embarrassment to the family. Although the two skeletons eventually recieved a proper burial, the ghosts still haunt the castle.
Crathes Castle was built by the Burnetts of Leys and was held in that family for almost 400 years. Crathes sits on land given as a gift to the Burnett of Leys family by King Robert the Bruce in 1323. In the Construction of the current tower house of Crathes Castle was begun in 1553. It was completed in 1596 by Alexander Burnett of Leys, and an additional wing added in 18th century.
Crathes Castle is near Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
photo by Mel Stephens